Discoveryland Lava Rocks?

Started by luke85, March 25, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke85

Does anyone have any pics/videos of the lava rocks effect working? I've heard this used to be a great feature when it was working!

Kristof

This photo was posted some time ago on Disney Central Plaza by DJinspace.

I'm sure I have a photo of the fire effect somewhere as well.  I'll keep on looking.  :)

luke85

Thanks Kristof, it looks so cool! If only they were still working :(

CafeFantasia

I saw the fire effect in person, back in April 1992. It was cool. A small amount of fire, apparently burning on the surface of the water, travelled along in a line and then erupted in a larger burst of flames.

davewasbaloo

It was awesome. Sadly it was all in the days before digital photography where I always worried about light/fire shots in case it was a waste of film. Therefore I only have memories.
since 2001 (many before that)

RnRCj

Oh wow - that looks very cool indeed! Such a shame health & safety turned the fire off.

It's annoying how even the water no longer works though. They could at least get that working again. :roll:

MagicKenny

Quote from: "RnRCj"Oh wow - that looks very cool indeed! Such a shame health & safety turned the fire off.

It's annoying how even the water no longer works though. They could at least get that working again. :roll:
Last november when I was there, the water actually did work  :o well, at least if I remember that well... my brain activities are low at this moment  haha
Just keep dreaming, just keep dreaming, what do we do, we dreaaamm

CentralPlazaPerson

very cool indeed
I never knew they did that, I thought they were just water falls  :D

RnRCj

Quote from: "MagicKenny"Last november when I was there, the water actually did work  :o well, at least if I remember that well... my brain activities are low at this moment  haha
I went at the end of last November, and the water certainly wasn't working! :P I've got photo evidence:

MagicKenny

Quote from: "RnRCj"
Quote from: "MagicKenny"Last november when I was there, the water actually did work  :o well, at least if I remember that well... my brain activities are low at this moment  haha
I went at the end of last November, and the water certainly wasn't working! :P I've got photo evidence:

then it's just my imagination ;) haha, could be that I just thought it was working, but actually it wasn't... but you've got the photo evidence ;) haha
Just keep dreaming, just keep dreaming, what do we do, we dreaaamm

pussinboots

However nice it must have been, it does seem like a hazard for fowl, haha. A simple smoke effect would be very effective.

But indeed, if only the fountains would at least work properly...

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "pussinboots"However nice it must have been, it does seem like a hazard for fowl, haha. A simple smoke effect would be very effective.

Funny how the birds seem to stay away from the flames on HKDL's Jungle Cruise or TDS's Raging Spirits.

I wonder how real an issue this is, and how much is spin based on cost savings?

pussinboots

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "pussinboots"However nice it must have been, it does seem like a hazard for fowl, haha. A simple smoke effect would be very effective.

Funny how the birds seem to stay away from the flames on HKDL's Jungle Cruise or TDS's Raging Spirits.

I wonder how real an issue this is, and how much is spin based on cost savings?

Well, the thing is, the effect was turned off long before the quality level dropped to the point where no one seemed to care. If it had been turned off circa 2000, then I would be the first to blame it on cost-cutting.

Also, it does seem a little... Out there to have actual fire effects in such places going on all day long. The same goes for the one inside the dragon's mouth. Smokey the Bear would have a heart attack.

luke85

I posted something earlier this evening about a video I had found online (http://www.martinsvids.net/?cat=98&paged=3) about DLP, when I came across this...

Is this the fire effect? I've never actually seen it myself, but the orange light next to the word "on" looks to me like it could be fire? The image was taken from the second part of a three part movie, at around 29mins 33 secs.

Thought I'd share incase any of you could shed some light on it!

davewasbaloo

It looks like it could be on the right, but I remember more flame than this.